While itís true that fairy folk love a good garden and take great pleasure in a tulip, there are dozens of beasties who fall under the fairy domain that are not quite as delightful as the quintessential flower fairy. This book is an exploration of the many things that go bump in the night near the fairy mound. Along with an exploration of folklore and historical literature, readers will delight in fairy tales that demonstrate everything from striking a bargain with a fairy to staving off changelings to laughing with the dwarves.
Included are fairy tales and myths from Wales, Scotland, Ireland, and Scandinavia plus classic stories by Thomas Crofton Croker, Joseph Jacobs, Clara Stroebe, the Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, Yei Theodora Ozaki, and others on goblins, trolls, gnomes, pookas, changelings, banshees, and more!
- A Fear of Little Men: Elves, Trolls, Leprechauns, Tree Spirits, Brownies, Coblyns, Dwarves, Goblins, Bonga, Trolls and Other Fairy Folk of Glen, Forests and Hearth
- The Hand That Rocks the Cradle: Changelings and Other Greedy Kidnappers of the Fairy Kingdom
- Iím Not Drunk, Itís Just My Pooka: Tales of the Trickster Fairy and Its Wild Counterpart
- Is That All There Is? Faries Who Give, or The Barter System
- Whoops, There It Is: How to Enter the Fairy Kingdom (or How Not To)
If you think fairies are merely delicate beings who follow you about on gossamer wings, you are in for quite a shock: the kingdom of the fairy is one of vengeance, thievery, trickery, and wild creatures. Consider yourself warned!
|Varla Ventura is the author of Banshees, Werewolves, Vampires and Other Creatures of the Night, Among the Mermaids, The Book of the Bizarre, and Beyond Bizarre. She can often be found lurking about the deep dark woods and lakes of Minnesota on the hunt for mushrooms, magical herbs, and the elusive little men of legend. Visit her online at www.varlaventura.net.
Listen to Varla Ventura on the Weiser Books Radio Hour!
See all titles by this author
Red Wheel/Weiser - World