Wikstrom identifies and defines the four major types of prayer that are practiced by all the world’s major religions:
* Naming the many ways in which the holy is present in daily life and the wider world
* Knowing the self introspectively –both in its strengths and weaknesses
* Listening to the “voice of quiet stillness” that resides in each individual
* Loving by reaching out to the world
Simply Pray uses these four core prayer types to develop a modern worship practice, using prayer beads as a frame of reference. The book offers illustrated prayer-bead techniques that can be used directly or customized for personal use.
There are also helpful tips on how to make prayer a part of your daily routine, as well as how to to make prayer beads and the benefits of using them:
* Prayer beads serve as a focus for meditation. Much more than a mnemonic aid to prayer, prayer beads engage the senses to create a state of mindfulness.
* Prayer beads are mobile altars. Simply touching the beads as they rest in a pocket, briefcase, or purse brings a prayerful presence to mundane moments.
* Prayer beads serve as reminders of prayer and help keep track of prayers.
Simply Pray is for anyone who is seeking a modern prayer practice that is deeply rooted in world tradition.